Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Overheard Conversation on the way to Scouts

Brevin: Mom, why is Kristi so interested in me? (Our ABA behaviorist who keeps tabs on him 3 hours a month, but who is now on maternity leave so her boss Kelli came to observe him at Scouts today).

Mom: Because you're a pretty interesting kid!

Brevin: Is it because I used to have autism?

Mom: What do you think?

Brevin: Probably.

Andrew: (Brevin's best buddy) What's autism?

Brevin: Oh, it's something I was born with that my parents learned about when I was about 3. It's a disability, but I grew out of it. Well, I still have it a little.

Andrew: But what is autism like for you?

Brevin: It helps me concentrate. Actually, did you know that everyone in the whole world has to have a little bit of autism or they wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything! (I like that explanation!)

Andrew: Cool! That means I have austim too because I can concentrate on a lot of things all at the same time!

Brevin: Who's your favorite Pokemon character? (Boys will be boys).

Sometimes it is a double edged sword having a son who is so high functioning--enough to know the difference and yet able to communicate how he feels about it all. He is very concerned about our baby having autism (probably overheard me talking to my mom) and has had nightmares about it. I keep reminding him that if our baby has autism, we will know what to do and we will give him the help he needs just like we did for Brevin. "I hope he doesn't have any disabilities because I really want to play basketball with him when he gets older." You still can, buddy boy.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Thank you for sharing that!

Unknown said...

Buff, I loved, loved loved this conversation. thanks for sharing. What a great question Andrew asked. He must be a sharp kid. Glad they can concentrate so well as the conversation quickly changed to more important things like pokeman.
love you all. Mom

A Roper said...

That is so awesome! Looks like you've done a great job at helping him see his abilities for what they are! I'm so happy he is doing so well! Way to go, Steph!

Amy W said...

Just like I remember Brevin... sweet as can be! I love those overheard moments. Thanks for sharing!

The State of Our Family said...

What a great post. He is such an amazing kid! Miss you guys!